About the workshop
Across the world the public sector faces a difficult and rapidly changing mix of challenges to providing effective, accountable and inclusive public sector organisations. Delivering rapid and appropriate responses to the COVID-19 pandemic, working to minimise the impact of unusual weather activity (related to climate change), increasing pollution and demand for more sustainable public services all pose complex challenges for public services. Organisations are under stress and need to adapt and absorb new ways of working and accountability in terms of efficient, economical and effective use of their resources. Public sector managers, politicians and the public need assurance that systems and processes are robust, while protecting their people in terms of their health and economic activity.
Politicians and senior managers need to be able to offer “value for money”. A crisis also presents opportunities. Internal audit and risk management offer a centre of expertise to investigate and provide solutions. They provide assurance on organisational processes and opportunities to strengthen management decisions. This workshop will show you how strong internal audit and timely risk management underpin essential, sustainable financial and management systems enabling the achievement of organisational objectives
What the workshop will cover
During the week you will explore:
• The role of internal audit and risk management and the main elements of managing these functions successfully
• Risk management in the context of COVID-19, including developing an effective risk register
• Internal audit structures and approaches
• Systems-based audit and performance audit
• Risk-based internal audit planning.
How participants will benefit
The workshop is designed to allow you to:
• Discuss internal audit and risk management in the context of your organisation
• Examine the inter-relationship between internal audit and external audit in detail (resource stretching implications may mean more pressure to place reliance on internal audit)
• Share experience of good practice developments and practical lessons learned from their implementation in the UK and other countries
• Share your own experiences of managing and implementing risk management and internal audit post-COVID-19 and the challenges your organisation faces
• Enable you to explore how these developments may be introduced and/or implemented in your own country.