About the workshop
This workshop considers how the transport system of cities can be organised and co-ordinated to meet the complex and varied needs of large and diverse urban populations in the 21st century. Every major city in the world is faced with many challenges to do with, among other things, dramatic developments in transport technologies, rapid growth in urban populations, increasing social diversity, changing patterns of work and recreation, traffic congestion and air pollution. All these – and other – challenges are interlinked in complex ways and joined-up solutions are hard to find. According to World Atlas, London, alongside Los Angeles, Cairo, Dhaka and Lagos, features amongst the top ten most congested cities.
This workshop explores London’s transport system, the challenges it faces, and what lessons might be learnt from London’s experiences in trying to meet those challenges by those planning and managing transport arrangements in other big cities and communities.
What the workshop will cover
During the week you will:
• Learn about the organisation and working of London’s transport system in the context of the demography and governance of a major city
• See for yourself, by personal observation, how the various components of the transport system relate to one another and how they are co-ordinated and funded
• Discuss with transport experts and with other participants the many practical problems encountered in running complex urban transport systems
• Examine recent and current initiatives designed to address the challenges and problems of managing and integrating the transport system of modern cities.
How participants will benefit
The workshop will enable you to:
• Apply lessons learned from the experiences of London transport managers and those of your fellow participants to improving transport policies in your own country
• Understand the ways in which different modes of transport can be managed and co-ordinated to take account of the diverse needs of different categories of transport user
• Appreciate the significance of customer feedback and complaints and how they should be handled
• Improve your understanding of how modern technology can be used to improve the coordination and management of transport systems
• Gain new insights into the environmental impact of transport systems and how environmental problems can be addressed.