Duration: 1 week
Dates: 16 to 20 September 2019
Tuition fees: £2,300 (exc. VAT)
About the workshop
Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) skills have been in demand for a long time, but in recent years there is an increasing emphasis on learning the lessons from M&E reviews to improve planning of future programmes and projects. In the world of international development, policy makers, politicians, programme designers and project managers need to be able to produce evidence-based results so as to demonstrate to the public that money is being well spent.
This one-week intensive workshop will give you a thorough understanding of the skills needed and the tools available for developing sustainable and cost-effective monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) processes and practices, from the policy development stage through to final outcomes.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to design a MEL system, set indicators, confidently discuss and produce a results framework and also take into account the growing use of technology in the MEL environment.
The workshop stresses the importance of the evaluation process, including how data analysis can be used to judge the results of a project, and how these processes help with planning future projects and programmes. It also explores the importance of Value for Money (VfM) indicators in the process and how to learn from failures and successes.
Who is it for?
The workshop is intended for those with some experience of monitoring and evaluation. It has been designed to build on and enhance your skills and understanding of MEL and work through some of the challenges in doing MEL in an effective and efficient manner. It does not exclude newcomers to MEL, as the basics and the end-to-end process are explained at the very beginning of the workshop and the practical exercises give all participants the opportunity to try out new tools.
The workshop will also benefit senior managers responsible for setting up a new, or enhancing an existing, MEL service within their organisations and provides an excellent grounding for staff who wish to pursue a career in monitoring, evaluation and learning.
How participants will benefit
The workshop will enable you to:
- View the MEL process from end to end
- Develop a deeper understanding of the characteristics of effective MEL and its systems
- Establish the basics for setting up an MEL facility
- See how MEL can be used in a variety of environments
- Improve the operation and management of the M&E function
- Through a series of practical exercises, practise the use of processes and procedures
- Gain an insight into the use of current data collection and management tools
- Understand how to learn from failures and successes
- Contribute to the achievement of desired development goals.
Please view our 2019 Brochure (opens in PDF)