About the workshop
Organisations are continually required to adapt to new circumstances, agendas and the pressures of increased demands from customers and citizens. Consequently, “change” in its broadest sense has become an expected part of organisational life. Some employees thrive on change while others are fearful and suspicious. Managers need to understand the change process so that they can lead and support staff through uncertain and often confusing times. The changing workplace can have an impact on employees’ professional and personal life: restructuring, redeployment, redundancy and retirement; lowered morale and decreased performance; suspicions regarding leadership motives for implementing change; fearful of losing their status or role and the impact of this on their daily living; employees can become distracted, confused, angry and stressed, all of which have a detrimental effect on team morale and increased sickness and absence.
What the workshop will cover
It will include the following main components:
- The importance of change for organisational survival
- Types of change within your organisation
- Choices people make during the change process e.g. the variety of positive and negative responses and strategies for dealing with them
- The leaders’ role during change
- How personality type and values affect the transition
- Directive and non-directive conversations – choosing the right type of conversation
- Building empathy and active listening
- When to listen, when to push and when to challenge
- Exploration of your individual reactions to professional and personal life changes
- Safe practice, seeking help and referral to professionals.
How participants will benefit
The workshop will give you:
- An understanding of the people issues involved in implementing and managing the changing workplace
- Clarity on the managers’ and HR’s role in leading staff through the transition phase of change
- Strategies and practical tools to support employees through uncertainty
- The skills to hold relevant, appropriate and helpful conversations to support staff through personal and professional change
- Insight into your own reactions to professional and personal life changes and how to successfully manage.