About the workshop
The pressure to get value for money from public services has never been greater. The last decade has seen a series of world economic crises and shocks that have undermined financial confidence and constrained public spending. The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development expects world economic growth to continue to decelerate and, with many countries facing severe economic constraints, there is less money available to the public and third sector. Yet citizens are looking to public sector and third sector organisations for effective services that will meet UN Sustainable Development Goals. How can public service managers deliver better results with such constrained resources?
This workshop focuses on performance management at an organisational level. In particular, we explore how performance frameworks can be developed to enable senior managers to evaluate progress towards overall strategic objectives, how to align performance and financial management to deliver value for money, and how to demonstrate value for money to external stakeholders.
Who is it for?
We have designed the workshop specifically for public sector organisations – central, state and local government bodies – as well as parastatals and NGOs.
It will be especially beneficial for:
- Senior managers responsible for maintaining or introducing performance management
- Senior managers responsible for business planning, corporate performance, reform projects and governance issues
- Senior managers needing guidance on value for money
- Senior managers responsible for organisational change management programmes.
The workshop will also be of interest to people working for organisations involved in governance, audit, evaluation and civil service reform policy. Aid donors and consultants will also find the programme valuable in understanding current responses to the challenges that organisations face.
How participants will benefit
You will be able to:
- Understand performance management in its organisational context
- Apply the concept of value for money to programmes and other activities
- Experience developments in good practice and lessons learned from the UK and other countries
- Share your own experiences of managing and implementing performance management systems with other participants
- Explore how these developments may be introduced and/or implemented in your organisation.
Please view our 2019 Brochure (opens in PDF)