About the workshop
Corporate governance is rapidly gaining the profile and prominence it deserves. Corporate governance is about how an organisation acts, agrees its strategic framework – its vision, mission and values – and ensures that it meets its objectives. In both the public and private sectors, it has been demonstrated that organisations and countries with good corporate governance perform substantially better than those that do not. Effective decision making and performance management are key elements of corporate governance and form a substantial part of the workshop. Bringing together human resources, risk, financial and asset management into a coherent overall plan is a key part of that approach.
Effective boards are also key to good corporate governance. They make a big difference to organisational focus and performance. They will play a major role in guiding organisations through the new challenges that most are facing and some of these changes may be long-lasting. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has brought about new ways of working for many organisations. The workshop will cover the changes that this has brought about and how these changes can be beneficial. This workshop is aimed at those in senior or board positions looking to gain a rounded appreciation of how to improve governance. The week is practically focused and highly interactive.
What the workshop will cover
You will be able to develop your understanding of:
• The critical elements of corporate governance
• The decision-making and reporting structures and supporting mechanisms underpinning corporate governance
• How to develop a positive organisational culture and encourage responsible and ethical behaviour
• Organisational strategies, including those relating to human resources (HR), finance, information and assets
• Risk management approaches
• Performance monitoring and management
• The role of the board and board effectiveness in the public and private sectors
• How to make the most of the non-executive board members and benefit from the advice and challenges they can provide.
How participants will benefit
The week will help you to:
• Appreciate the contribution of good corporate governance and good decision making
• Recognise the importance of vision, mission and values
• Understand how integrated strategies for HR, finance, assets and information can be developed
• Apply improved risk and performance management
• Consider the need for undertaking contingency planning for major crises such as the COVID-19 pandemic
• Understand personal characteristics of an effective board member
• Contribute to board effectiveness through teamwork
• Reflect on examples of corporate governance failures where the board should have acted
• Understand the role of Non-Executive Directors.