Duration: 2 weeks
Dates: 23 September to 4 October 2019
Tuition fees: £3,980 (exc. VAT)
About the workshop
The drafting of legislation is one of the most important functions in a modern state, it is crucial that the law is as fair, accessible, workable and cost-effective as possible. Yet those who are called on to draft legislation are all too often simply asked to copy texts from another source. In doing so they will often have little idea why those texts use the language they do or are structured in the way they are. So, if those people do at some time have to create original legal rules, they may very well have little idea where to start.
Contrary to popular supposition the problem is not that these rules require the use of special legal language, for generally speaking the language used in them is, or should be, the same as would be used for ordinary formal writing. Yet the skill involved does demand the application of some quite easily learned principles.
Most basically, it is important to know what exactly it is that the rules are required to do and how they may be enforced, and to understand how they need to be constructed and why. This workshop aims to familiarise you with the necessary principles in a hands-on way by undergoing a concentrated series of classroom drafting workshop sessions that approach the subject in a new and entirely practical way.
In the two weeks available the workshop cannot attempt to give you the sustained exposure to the detailed learning and actual drafting that a full legislative drafting course can. But by concentrating on the basic essentials, it aims to enable you to practise drafting legal rules in a supervised environment and set you on the right road.
Who is it for?
The workshop is designed mainly for lawyers who are called upon to draft legislation, or those who want to learn exactly how legislative drafters need to go about their tasks. It will also be of benefit to people who are called on in the course of their work to instruct legislative counsel in the preparation of legislation.
How participants will benefit
The workshop will:
- Introduce you to the essential characteristics of good legislative drafting
- Familiarise you with the way drafters need to use language to maintain consistency
- Explain the importance of using plain everyday language in drafting so far as is possible
- Enable you to understand some of the potential difficulties relating to the use of common words
- Help you to identify areas of drafting in your own jurisdiction which can be improved upon
- Make you more likely to be able to assist meaningfully in the process of amending and updating statute law that in modern times is vital to any jurisdiction.
Please view our 2019 Brochure (opens in a PDF document)