About the workshop
It is crucial that the law is as fair, modern, simple and cost-effective as possible. Reform of the law is vital across the world and is becoming ever more important. Law reform typically aims to improve protection for the vulnerable, sustain the rule of law and increase human rights. It has to be respected, reliable, rigorous and responsive. Law reform agencies have to capture the attention of governments. Law reformers can be catalysts of change, responsive both to the public they serve and to the latest issues and challenges in the world.
This workshop is about law reform in action and is designed for:
• Those working for law reform commissions, committees and institutes
• Law reformers working within governments
• Other major contributors such as academic lawyers, parliamentarians and judges.
What the workshop will cover
The workshop will demonstrate the hallmarks of successful law reform for contemporary needs. It is very practical, covering the whole reform process, from the selection of projects to the implementation of recommendations. Topics range from using modern methods and international cooperation, project planning, research, the advantages of different law reform structures and establishing new law reform institutions, and law reform with limited resources to meet the Sustainable Development Goals. Outside speakers will include other law reformers from the Law Commission for England and Wales and from the UK Government’s Ministry of Justice.
How participants will benefit
It will help you to:
• Explore different organisational structures for law reform, and how to establish them
• Increase understanding of a variety of methods of achieving successful law reform
• Discover the full value of wide consultation and outside expertise
• Consider legislative and other methods of reforming the law
• Learn how law reformers are meeting modern needs
• Investigate the modern methods used in law reform
• Enable you to learn from law reformers from different legal and political systems
• Contribute to your professional development.